People are going to think you run a lifestyle blog (or something). posted on Sept. 29, 2016,
Andrew Richard / BuzzFeed
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
1. Stash ugly cords in a shelf-friendly box for an artful storage distraction.
Not-so-open storage on your open shelving is a good time, all the time.
Get them from AllModern for $20 (TV), $12 (radio), $10.28 (clock).
2. Cover door dings and marks with chalkboard paint in the garage.
Learn about painting prep work and see the full garage makeover at The Gathered Home.
Get a 30-oz. can of chalkboard paint from Amazon for $17.08.
3. Turn unsightly wires into cute wall art by adding bloom clips.
Just a bird sitting on a wire.
Get it from Amazon for $13.99.
4. Paint a drop cloth as a cheerful outdoor rug to hide stained concrete or ugly patio surfaces.
Check out tricks for a neat paint job at The Homes I Have Made.
Get them from Amazon. $11.95 (heavy-duty drop cloth), $5.04 (painter’s tape).
5. Upgrade a plain light-switch cover with Mod Podge and a copy of a page from your favorite book.
Be reminded daily of a favorite book passage with instructions at small + friendly.
Get a 16-oz. bottle of Mod Podge from Amazon for $7.47.
6. Freshen up a printed upholstered chair with paint and fabric medium.
Avoid a Pinterest fail by breaking the paint-to-fabric medium ratio rules. Find out the genius secret at In My Own Style.
Get Diane’s fabric medium of choice from Amazon for $8.86.
7. Transform a throwaway vinyl chair with the help of specialty spray paint.
The orange-to-white switch took more coats than expected. Read tips for a successful “after” at We Can Make Anything.
Get spray paint for vinyl from Amazon for $11.92.
8. Mount a surge protector and coil up cords on hooks underneath a desk to fight visual cord clutter.
Read up on the deets for this clever concealment at Andrea Dekker.
Get them from Amazon for $9.81 (pair of 6-outlet surge-protector power strips), $7.05 (50-pack of small metal hooks).
9. Scribble away rusty furniture hardware with a metallic Sharpie.
Check out (essential!) cleaning prep tips before you color at Visual Heart.
Get a 4-pack of gold Sharpies from Amazon for $4.99.
10. Keep embarrassing beauty products anonymous with elegant, clear dispensers.
The stuff’s effective, but visitors don’t have to know the secrets behind your spotless skin and shiny tresses.
Get a 16 oz. dispenser from Amazon for $7.99.
11. And transfer laundry cleaning products to pretty storage containers for a streamlined, minimalist-pleasing look.
Steal more clever organizing ideas for laundry rooms at Julie Blanner.
Get them from Amazon for $22.95 (3-set of large glass canisters), $6.99 (6-pack of cobalt-blue 1 oz. eye dropper bottles).
12. Stash grass-stained shoes in an entry bench with drawers that’ll hide gross footwear.
The slatted drawer fronts let smelly sneakers air out without making you look at them.
Get it from Amazon for $66.36.
13. Mask a popcorn finish or water stains by draping scarves with thumbtacks.
Get all the fun details at The Gathered Home.
Buy a 100-pack of metal thumbtacks from Amazon for $19.
14. Turn your dog’s crate into a design accent with a regal cover worthy of Henry VIII.
Your pup will feel like royalty.
Get it from Amazon for $105+. / Available in sizes S-L.
15. Give your cat (or dog) some privacy and disguise the litter box with a nightstand/cathouse combo.
It’s also good for storing books, tabletop items, and even towels!
Get it from Amazon for $99.99. / Available in White (left), Espresso (right), and Walnut.
Use the top to park candles and other bathroom essentials.
Get it from Amazon for $49.95.
17. Camouflage a smelly septic vent in the garden with a birdbath.
The plastic coverup includes a replaceable carbon filter to control orders.
Get it from Amazon for $146.94. / Available in faux finishes Granite (shown), Sandstone, and Terra Cotta.
19. Cover a hideous tile backsplash with paint for an update that doesn’t require hiring a pro.
Learn from the project’s trial and error at Make Do and DIY.
Get a half pint of high-gloss paint from Amazon for $8.63.
20. Mask chain-link fences with a convincing roll of artificial ivy.
Do some other-level privacy screening by adding it to picket fences, too.
Get a 94” x 39” roll from Amazon for $32.94.
21. Overhaul a dated fireplace with spray paint in just one day.
Learn the secrets behind this rapidfire project at East Coast Creative.
Get them from Amazon for $7.33 (surround-masking black spray paint), $5.06 (painter’s tape that’ll stick to brick).
See how to take this free (yep, you read that right) hardware store paint tool and turn it into a pretty patterned surface at Ciburbanity.
25. Conceal a thermostat or security system by hanging a canvas wall art piece on hinges.
Check out the easy-access tutorial at Bliss Bloom Blog.
Get a 2-pack of hinges from Amazon for $6.77.
26. Stash your trash and recycling beneath the counter with a rolling system.
One bin for trash and one bin for recycling—both out of sight.
Get it from Amazon for $79.99.
27. Fake a granite finish on a laminate countertop with a paint kit.
The kit even has an instruction DVD for painting noobs!
Get it from Amazon for $79.95.
28. Corral hair tools in a hangable carrier you can store under the sink when not in use.
The good kind of containment.
Get it from Amazon for $19.96.
29. Block a utility panel from view with a pallet-ish cover that won’t get you in hot water with your utility company.
Check your local utility company’s requirements about reading the meter before you tackle this project. (Tasha’s meter can be read through the panels and the coverup is easily removed.) Get her building directions at Designer Trapped in a Lawyer’s Body.
30. Give an old appliance a sleek stainless-steel look without forking over a ton of cash by covering it in contact paper.
See how to revamp a black dishwasher at Julie Blanner.
Get a roll of stainless steel-look contact paper from Amazon for $9.40.
32. Find a happy medium between a pedestal sink and vanity by fitting a specially designed cabinet around the sink base.
It’s cheaper (and way easier) than starting from sink scratch.
Get it from Improvements for $149.99. / Available in Walnut (shown), Cream, and White.
34. Make a drum pendant ceiling light fixture coverup that won’t compromise your relationship with your landlord.
Follow the easy project directions at The Blissful Bee.
35. Hide an oddly-placed light switch in plain sight by making it the center of a gallery wall.
See how to deal with the weird decor sitch at Our Fifth House.
Nope, you can’t use regular shower curtains. Invest in two long regular curtains (about 84”) to fully mask the doors. See how to gett the right effect at Maria Killam.
Get them from Amazon. $21.99 (decorative shower rod), $10.97 (pair of 54” x 84” gray curtains).