10 turnoffs for potential homebuyers
From Zillow 5/6/14
As real estate markets continue to recover around the country, buyers are out in full force. Many of today’s buyers make judgments about homes within moments of seeing a listing online. They are also more cautious than before the housing crisis. They want to make sure they’re buying the best house and for the best amount of money. For sellers, that means giving buyers what they want. Though it’s a home first and foremost, it’s also an investment.
Part of the joy of owning a home is that you can do whatever you want with it, to it, and in it. You should enjoy it. But if you want to sell it easily and for top dollar down the road, try to picture how others might react to any renovations, additions or modifications you make. The more specific you get — such as turning your kid’s room into a miniature castle from Cinderella — the harder it will be to sell your home later, and the less return on investment you’ll get. When considering changes to your home, always consider resale.
- A garage turned into something else
- A bedroom turned into something else
- Carpet covering hardwood floors
- Over the top lighting fixtures
- Kid’s room that is a miniature theme park
- An above ground pool
- An in ground pool
- Outdated kitchen fixtures
- Cigarette smell throughout the house
- Keeping your pets, bed and toys front and center